Traffic accidents in Georgia can happen for a number of reasons, including when someone runs a red light. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), drivers who didn’t obey traffic signals caused 133,000 injuries and 683 fatalities in 2012. If you get into an accident after running a red light, you might wonder what your options are and how it can affect insurance claims.
Running a red light in Georgia is considered a dangerous and illegal driving practice, especially since it increases the risk of an accident at a dangerous intersection. If you were in a car accident after you or another driver ran a traffic light, speak with an attorney. They can help you determine your best next steps and ensure you take the correct legal actions.
What is considered a traffic light violation in Georgia?
Running a red light is one of the most common causes of traffic-related injuries and fatalities on Georgia roads. If a driver enters a traffic intersection at any time after the light has already turned red, this is a traffic violation. A motorist also commits a red light violation if they don’t stop before turning right on red at an intersection.
However, if the driver is in the middle of an intersection because they’re waiting to turn and the light turns red, this isn’t considered running a red light. Turning on a red light is legal in Georgia as long as the driver stops and looks for ongoing traffic first.
What should I do if I was in an accident involving a traffic light violation?
If an accident was caused by running a traffic light, there are a few things that should happen:
- Immediately after the accident occurs, all parties should stay at the scene. Call police and stay until they have arrived to make a report of the accident. If the driver responsible for the accident leaves the scene, it’s considered a “hit and run,” one of Georgia’s most serious offenses and is a crime.
- Get medical attention for anyone who was injured in the accident. Georgia law requires those involved to get medical help for those who need it, such as calling an ambulance.
- The driver who caused the accident should report it to their insurance right away. Not doing so could void their insurance coverage or deem them as failing to cooperate. If you were the victim in the accident, you should contact a car accident lawyer right away before speaking with the other driver’s insurance company.
- Exchange information with the other driver, including names, phone numbers, and insurance information.
- Call your attorney. You will need legal help in knowing how to proceed, especially if you were injured or your vehicle was damaged in the car accident. Plus, your lawyer will be able to help if the insurer or other driver tries to blame you for any part of the accident.
For running the red light alone, the at-fault driver may be summoned to show up in municipal court and face a fine for the violation. If there are other driving issues on their record, they could also face a license suspension.
If you were hit by another driver after they ran a red light, you have grounds to recover money for damages like:
- Personal injuries suffered from the accident
- lost wages due to time missed at work
- Car repair costs for damage to your vehicle
- Possibly pain and suffering for injuries that could emerge later as a result of the crash
- Wrongful death if you lost a loved one due to the other driver’s negligence in running the traffic light and causing the accident
The at-fault driver and/or their insurance company will be responsible for covering costs associated with damages in the accident, along with the fines related to running a red light.
The outcome of running a traffic light and getting into an accident depends on the details, but in any case, those at fault should be held responsible. If you were injured due to a missed traffic light and resulting accident, our attorneys are here to listen and help you know what to do next. Let us give you a FREE consultation call to get started. Contact us today at 404-341-6555 or fill out the form to your right for your free consultation.