Due to the poor quality of Atlanta’s public transportation and available pedestrian walkways, pedestrian injuries and deaths are unfortunately common—and often serious. Walkers, runners, hikers, and anyone else traveling on foot are at risk of being victims of a pedestrian accident in this state. If you or a loved one has been hit by a car or other vehicle as a pedestrian on Atlanta roads, you’re not alone—and it’s time to speak with a trusted Atlanta pedestrian accident lawyer.
We have over two decades of experience pursuing financial recovery for those who have been injured due to another person’s carelessness—such as being injured by a vehicle while walking on foot. And working with us is risk-free: We don’t get paid unless you get the money. Plus, we’ll offer you a FREE consultation to discuss your next steps with one of the best attorneys in Atlanta. Give us a call today at 404-341-6555 for your free consultation call.
Are pedestrian accidents different than other types of car accidents?
Pedestrian accidents have similarities compared with any other type of car accident, but there are two main differences:
- Pedestrian accidents are often more serious. This is because a pedestrian doesn’t have the same protection as a driver during a collision. Compared with cars and other vehicles, which weight thousands of pounds, a pedestrian is much small and lighter—so they suffer a much higher impact during an accident. This unfortunately often leads to much more severe injuries or even death. The more serious the injury in a pedestrian accident, the more complicated the claim to recover money will be.
- Negligence is often more difficult to determine in pedestrian accidents. To prove that a driver was at fault for the accident, there must be evidence of negligence, or “carelessness,” on their part. This can be tricky if the pedestrian victim never actually saw the car before it hit them or they don’t fully remember the accident due to serious injuries. And the driver—and sometimes even police—may try to place blame on the pedestrian or deny the driver’s responsibility.
If you were a pedestrian hit by a car and find yourself being questioned or blamed, you’ll likely need legal representation by an experienced Atlanta pedestrian accident lawyer to help your case.
Do pedestrians always have the right of way in Atlanta?
Not exactly. As a pedestrian in the City of Atlanta, you do have rights. However, it’s important to know that just like motorists on the road, you hold certain responsibilities. Some Georgia traffic laws for drivers also apply to pedestrians. Those include:
- If a sidewalk is available, pedestrians must use it. If no sidewalk is available, you’ll need to keep to the road shoulder and as far away from moving traffic as possible. And if you have no choice but to travel on the roadway, stay off to the edge and on the left-hand side (where you’re facing oncoming traffic).
- Pedestrians yield to cars on the roadway. In a situation like above, cars actually have the right of way and it’s your responsibility to yield to them.
- Pedestrians have the right of way at a crosswalk. If there is an electronic crossing signal and the “walk” is on, pedestrians have the right of way and cars must stop for them. If there is no crossing signal, pedestrians should check for oncoming traffic before crossing—but once any pedestrian is in the crosswalk, drivers on that side of the road must stop for you to cross.
- Pedestrians should look both ways for traffic before crossing a street without a crosswalk.
So, pedestrians are responsible for following certain rules when walking on or crossing a street. However, at places even without crosswalks, driver should still be alert and do what they can to avoid accidents with pedestrians.
How much money can I recover if I was a pedestrian hit by a car?
The severity of your injuries determines how much you can recover from the pedestrian accident. Many victims in severe pedestrian accidents are able to recover tens of thousands of dollars or more for their injuries. Factors you may be able to recover for include:
- Medicals bills for doctor visits and treatment for your injuries.
- Lost wages from time you had to take off of work due to the accident and your injuries.
- Pain and suffering caused by the accident or resulting from your injuries.
- Wrongful death if you lost a close family member in a pedestrian accident.
In most cases, the driver at fault for the accident will have insurance that covers this type of situation, and the insurer will be responsible for paying you. However, insurance companies are for-profit businesses and they will do whatever they can do pay out the least amount for your injuries. They may offer you a low-ball amount right after the accident or try to use other tactics to place the blame on you or downplay the severity of your injuries.
Don’t let this happen. Speak with a lawyer who understands pedestrian accidents and how to best fight for your rights so you can recover what you need to get better and move on.
Talk to an Atlanta Pedestrian Accident Lawyer for Free
If you’re the victim of a pedestrian accident, don’t go it alone. Our lawyers know how to build and win cases like this. We’re not intimidated by complex cases, missing information, or serious injuries that make the situation more complicated. Our attorneys are here to help fight for what you deserve, we never take the insurance company’s side, and our services are accessible to everyone. We’ll also offer you a FREE consultation to get started today. To speak with one of our attorneys directly about your case and your next best steps for moving forward, contact us at 404-341-6555 to get your free consultation call.