Car accident side effects may include injuries that aren’t obvious at first but grow worse over time. Accidents can also cause emotional issues like anxiety, depression and post-traumatic stress disorder. Many people feel afraid to drive after an accident, or simply nervous in general.
Financial stress is also a common problem, as victims may be out of work and/or facing high medical bills.
Any car accident can have far-reaching side effects, even if it didn’t seem that serious. To minimize an accident’s effect on your life, it’s important to see a doctor as soon as you can and be on the lookout for symptoms. To minimize financial effects, see a good car accident lawyer as soon as possible.
What are the physical side effects from a car accident?
It’s not uncommon to “walk away” from a car accident, only to wake up stiff, sore and in pain the next day. Or you may feel dizzy and nauseous. Many common car accident injuries don’t show any symptoms right away, but develop over time. These include:
- Whiplash. Whiplash is especially common after rear end collisions. It is a muscle injury that happens when the impact of the accident “whips” your head back and forth. Signs of whiplash include pain in the neck and shoulder area.
- Head injuries. Headaches, dizziness, difficulty concentrating and balance problems can all be signs of a head injury. While a mild concussion may not need any special treatment, a traumatic brain injury can lead to a lifelong disability.
- Soft tissue injuries. These include any kind of joint or muscle injury, such as a sprain. They can limit your mobility and sometimes require surgery or physical therapy to heal properly.
In general, the longer you wait to treat an injury, the longer it will take to heal. And some injuries can potentially be life threatening if not treated properly. This is why it is important to go to the doctor as soon as you can.
What are the emotional side effects after a car accident?
Car accidents are traumatic and can cause serious emotional distress, even if your physical injuries aren’t that bad. Emotional injuries can make it hard to do your job, stay in school or maintain relationships. Some of the common emotional injuries that car accident victims suffer include:
- Anxiety. You may have a hard time driving again, or you may feel anxious in certain situations that remind you of the accident. Some people just feel a general sense of uneasiness.
- Depression. If you are struggling to return to your normal routine or take pleasure in the things you used to enjoy, you may be depressed. Other signs of depression include loss of appetite, sleep disturbances, difficulty paying attention, lack of energy, hopelessness and suicidal thoughts.
- PTSD. Post-traumatic stress disorder is marked by “flashbacks,” nightmares, anxiety, and other serious symptoms.
If you are feeling emotional effects of a car accident, it’s a good idea to schedule a consultation with a psychologist or other mental health professional. A professional can evaluate your condition and recommend counseling, medication or other treatment that will help you feel relief.
What about money?
If you are injured in a car accident, you will have bills – for doctors, hospitals, therapies and medications. You may be out of work for weeks, months, or permanently. All of this creates financial stress, on top of everything else you are dealing with. The good news is, Georgia allows you to recover all of your costs from the insurance company for the driver who was at fault in your accident.
The best way to take care of your financial side effects is to talk to an experienced car accident lawyer. Your lawyer will work to build a strong case to get you all of the costs of your physical injuries. They can evaluate whether you are also eligible to recover money for mental health treatment, pain and suffering, and other damages. In many cases, your lawyer can negotiate with the insurance company to get you far more than they would ordinarily pay. Or, a lawyer can take your case to a jury in car accident lawsuits in Atlanta.
Talk to an Atlanta Car Accident Lawyer for Free
Our lawyers have been successfully helping accident victims for decades. We won’t charge you unless we get money for you. We’d like to offer you a FREE, no obligation consultation to explain what we can do. Call us at (404) 341-6555 or fill out the form to the right to get your free consultation today.