No two car accidents are the same, but all of them, even the most minor, can carry major expenses. Car accident victims in Smyrna often have long-term pain, serious injuries, hospital bills, and ongoing medical needs. In some cases, they may be unable to return to work.
If you have been injured in a car accident that wasn’t your fault, you are not alone and may be entitled to a large financial settlement. You need to talk to a Smyrna car accident lawyer.
We have dedicated our entire careers to helping accident victims, listening to their stories, and helping them get every dollar they are entitled to—even when the insurance company does not want to pay. We do not charge anything if we can’t win you money. Call us or fill out the form to the right to get your free consultation today.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident in Smyrna?
After an accident, you must advocate for yourself, protecting your physical recovery and legal rights. That means there are things you should do both at the scene and after the fact.
At the scene of the accident:
- Get emergency medical help if you or anyone else need it.
- Always call the police, even if the other party says they’d rather not get them involved.
- Exchange basic information with the other driver, including insurance info and contact information.
- Talk to witnesses (if any) and ask them for their contact info.
- Take photos of the scene, your car, any injuries, and what happened.
- Take a video of the other driver if they are aggressive, intoxicated, or disposing of evidence.
- Tell the police if you believe the other driver was intoxicated or distracted.
Afterward, you should take some additional steps:
- See a doctor, even if you don’t believe you’re seriously injured.
- Report the accident to your insurance company.
- Do not give the insurers a written or recorded statement until you have talked to a lawyer.
- Call a lawyer and schedule a consultation.
The car accident lawyers in Smyrna, GA, have the experience necessary to help you recover compensation for car accident injuries.
How Much Money Can I Win in a Car Accident Claim?
It depends on what happened. Some car accident claims will only pay out $10,000 or $20,000, but many end up $100,000 or more, or even millions. The important thing to understand is that Georgia does not cap how much you can recover. The amount is supposed to be enough to cover the accident’s full impact, no matter how much that may be.
General vs. Special Damages
The law has very clear limits on what kinds of losses you can be paid for. They fall into two main groups: general damages and special damages.
- General damages are things like pain, emotional suffering, or the impact of serious losses like permanent injury. It is impossible to put a true dollar value on these losses, but the law still allows you to recover money for them.
- Special damages are the actual dollar costs of the accident. This includes all immediate and long-term costs, such as lost work time, medical costs, long-term care, car repairs, etc.
Unfortunately, insurance companies will try to reduce both types of damages. They may offer you an amount that does not include some expenses, like the future medical treatment you will need. And they will rarely offer much for your pain, suffering, and other intangible losses unless you fight for it, which is one of the most important reasons to get a lawyer.
Remember, you may still be facing the effects of your accident 5 or 10 years from now—or for life. The money from your settlement is supposed to offset this long-term impact. Never accept less than the full amount you deserve.
Will I Have to Go to Court?
Not usually. Most of the time, once a lawyer is on the case, the insurance company will change its tune and come to the bargaining table. A good lawyer will assemble solid evidence, present a strong case, and get you more money without ever going to court.
Occasionally an insurance company will be stubborn. If that happens, we can advise you on whether it’s worth filing a car accident lawsuit.
Who Is Considered to Be “at Fault” in Smyrna?
Like all of Georgia, Smyrna bases liability in a car accident on who was at fault or caused it. However, the fault rules are complicated, and it can be hard to know who is truly at fault.
In general, there are four main ways someone can be at fault:
- They broke a traffic law.
- They were intoxicated.
- They were distracted.
- They were “negligent” or careless.
Negligence is often the most important one. Negligence is a legal term that means the person should have been careful and wasn’t. A driver could be negligent even if they aren’t breaking any laws. This is what makes assigning fault so complicated.
The most important thing to remember about fault is never to blame yourself and never accept blame that isn’t yours. The other driver will often try to blame you for their own mistakes, and insurance companies are eager to go along with this. Don’t let them—let your lawyer protect you.
Car accidents are rarely truly “accidents,” as they could have been prevented if someone had been more careful – so let that person be held responsible. If you suffered an injury in a Smyrna, GA, car accident, it is in your best interest to speak to an experienced Smyrna car accident attorney as soon as possible. You only have a short window in which to file a claim or risk losing the opportunity to recover compensation forever.
How to Choose a Car Accident Lawyer in Smyrna, GA
Choosing the right car accident lawyer in Smyrna, GA, should not be impossible. You have a lot of ways to ensure you pick the right lawyer for your case, including the following:
- Talk to family members and friends who have used car accident attorneys in Smyrna, GA, in the past
- Review testimonials found on car accident attorney websites
- Schedule a consultation to learn more about the lawyer directly from them
Do not settle for the first offer provided by the at-fault driver’s insurance company, as they will lowball you in an effort to avoid paying a large claim. Instead, fight for your right to fair compensation with the help of an experienced Smyrna car accident lawyer. Call us today to schedule a free consultation.
Talk to a Smyrna Car Accident Lawyer for Free
No one should have to face a car accident without legal help. That’s why we offer a free consultation – and we never charge anything if we cannot secure the compensation you deserve. Do not risk dealing with the insurance company on your own.
Call us or fill out the form to the right to get your free consultation today.