Most drivers don’t know the specific rules of the road that apply to bicyclists. And that means that motorists drive aggressively around cyclists every day in Canton—a leading cause of bicycle accidents. But a driver’s ignorance of the law is no defense when it comes to personal injury cases. The driver may be responsible for your injuries and damages after a collision, and they or they insurance may have to pay. Don’t give up your rights. Get a Canton bicycle accident lawyer to help you with your case.
We’re here to help you. Our lawyers never represent drivers that harm others—or their insurance companies. Instead, our attorneys only work for victims. We have the compassion and knowledge that you need to get a fair settlement or a good result at trial, and we have over 20 years of experience serving the Canton community. Let us give you a free consultation. Call us at 1-404-341-6555 or fill out the form to the right to get your free consultation today.
What kind of damages can I claim in a bike accident case?
The most common damages in a bike collision are personal injuries. Any injury that affects your body or mind is considered a personal injury. These can include things like:
- Broken bones
- Sprains and strains
- Back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head injuries
- Cuts and bruises
- Mental anguish or anxiety
Money damages in your bicycle accident case cover more than just medical bills for these injuries. They also include costs related to any treatment you may need in the future.
For example, imagine that your accident required the need for wrist surgery. Even after the operation is completed, you may never be ready to use your wrist the same way again. You may require physical therapy, and you may not be able to go back to your previous job. Your case will address all of these losses—it will pay for physical therapy, follow up treatment, and the surgery itself. It will also include an amount for the loss of your job. Your accident can have long-lasting effects that are far beyond the initial injury and treatment.
Property damages are also addressed in your legal claim. In bike accidents, the property damage may not cost as much as in a car accident, but you should still be able to get your bicycle repaired or replaced. Avid riders often spend thousands of dollars purchasing and maintaining their bikes—and you shouldn’t have to take a loss on that expense just because a car hit you.
Will the driver’s insurance cover me if they hit me while I was on a bike?
In many cases, yes. Georgia is an at-fault state. That means that the person responsible for any type of accident in a car must cover the injuries and damages that they caused. The driver’s insurance policy would apply.
If the other driver doesn’t have insurance, you can still bring a lawsuit against the driver, but you may be less likely to actually be able to collect any damages. It might be better to use your own uninsured motorist coverage that comes along with your auto policy if you have it. Your attorney will be able to help you examine both of these options to determine which one will work best for your situation.
Your bike is considered a “vehicle” under Georgia law. That means that most of the rules that apply to cars will also apply to you when you are on your bike. In most cases, insurance will generally work the same way too.
How can an attorney help after a bike accident?
Your lawyer plays a lot of roles in a bike accident case. First and foremost, they are an advocate for your rights. When you are harmed by someone else, you have a right to get money damages for your losses. With this role in mind, your attorney will help you with the following issues after your accident.
- Gathering information and evidence. Your lawyer will be a great resource to investigate the facts of your case. You will need more than just your description of the accident to win your case in most situations. Your lawyer can take photos of the scene and the damage, get a copy of the police report, take witness statements, gather medical records, and more.
- Help you with treatment options. In some situations, you need a particular type of medical treatment not only to address your injuries but also move your case forward. For example, you might need an expert to explicitly state which injuries were caused by your accident. Only certain doctors may be willing to provide this type of opinion in a legal case. Our lawyers can connect you with the right medical professionals to get this type of opinion.
- Negotiate with the insurance company. In most bicycle accidents, an insurance company will be involved. Claims adjusters see car accidents every day, so they likely have much more experience dealing with these issues than you do. Having an experienced lawyer to work with them will help ensure sure that they do not take advantage of your situation.
- Value your case. Experienced attorneys know a general value of each case once they have gathered and examined the facts. Your lawyer will be able to give you a value range for your case if it ended up going to trial. Having this information will help you avoid settling for something that is lower than what your claim is worth.
- Presenting your case at trial. In cases that can’t be settled fairly, your attorney will advocate on your behalf either before a judge or jury. Litigators know the ins and outs of the local courtrooms in the Canton area, and they will an extremely valuable teammate during this process. You can also leave the planning and organization in their good hands so you can focus on recovering, even while trial preparation is well underway.
Many people make the mistake of assuming that they can’t get a lawyer, or that a lawyer won’t be “worth it” in a bike accident case—this isn’t true! An attorney can help you win your claim and get the most amount of money possible no matter what kind of claim you have.
Our lawyers only get paid if we get you money. There is no risk in setting up a free consultation.
Talk to a Canton Bicycle Accident Lawyer for Free
Bicycle accidents can cause serious injuries that can put you or a loved one in the hospital for a considerable amount of time. Let us give you a connect you with attorneys who will focus on your case while you focus on recovering from your accident. Your consultation is FREE. Call us at 1-404-341-6555 or fill out the form to the right to get your free consultation today.