Common vehicle accident injuries include soft tissue injuries such as whiplash; injuries to the chest, arms and legs; head injuries; cuts; and scrapes. The type of injury you suffer in a car accident depends on several factors, including the angle and force of the impact, where you were seated in the car, whether you were wearing a seat belt, and your age and health.
Even a relatively minor accident can cause painful, long-lasting injuries. More serious accidents can require long hospital stays, multiple surgeries and months of physical therapy and rehabilitation. You may be out of work or learning to live with a disability. The financial toll can be almost as stressful as the physical injuries, but a car accident lawyer can help you recover money to continue your healing process.
What exactly is whiplash?
Whiplash is probably the most common car accident injury, especially among people who have been rear-ended. Whiplash gets its name from the way your head “whips” back and forth in response to the impact of a car crash. This sudden whipping motion tears the muscles and soft tissues is your neck, creating a painful condition that takes months to heal.
Insurance companies frequently claim that whiplash is a made-up condition, because it doesn’t show up on x-rays and other tests, and it often doesn’t have any symptoms until after the accident. But whiplash is very real, and if you are suffering from whiplash, you may need a lawyer’s help to recover money for your injuries.
What are some other common car accident injuries?
Depending on your situation, you may have many different types of injuries. Some of the most common ones include:
- Chest injuries. During the accident, your chest may hit or press against the steering wheel, dashboard, seatbelt or other objects inside the car. You may have bruising, broken ribs, or injuries to your internal organs.
- Arm and leg injuries. You may have broken bones and sprains in your arms, legs, hands and feet as a result of being thrust against the door, the dashboard or the seat in front of you.
- Head injuries. Hitting your head on the dashboard, windshield, seat in front of you, or other surface inside the car can cause anything from a mild concussion to a severe traumatic brain injury that will leave you with a lifelong disability.
- Cuts and scrapes. Broken glass and other impacts can cause cuts and scrapes anywhere on your body. These may require stitches or plastic surgery.
- Emotional injuries. A serious car accident is traumatic, and you may feel anxious, depressed, sleepless, or have symptoms of post-traumatic stress syndrome as a result of the accident itself, or as part of the process of learning to cope with a serious injury.
Can I recover money for all of these types of injuries?
If the accident was not your fault, you can recover money from the driver who caused your accident. This usually means your injuries will be paid for by the driver’s insurance company. The law entitles you to 100% of the cost of your physical injuries. Many accident victims recover money for:
- Doctors, hospitals, tests and prescription drugs to treat whiplash, head and chest injuries, broken bones and other common car accident injuries
- Physical, occupational or other therapy needed for recovery
- Treatment for emotional trauma, if you also have physical injuries
- “Pain and suffering,” which includes both physical pain and the impact the accident has had on your life.
Although you have a legal right to a full financial recovery, the other driver’s insurance company won’t be happy about paying you. Time and again, we have seen insurance companies offer accident victims shockingly small settlements because they are more interested in their own bottom line than in helping someone who was injured through no fault of their own.
No matter what kind of injury you have, it is important to talk to a good Atlanta car accident lawyer. A lawyer knows how to evaluate your claim, collect evidence, and take a strong stand with the insurance company to get you the full amount of money you deserve.
Talk to an Atlanta Car Accident Lawyer for Free
Our lawyers have years of experience helping people with all kinds of injuries get money to pay for treatment and put their lives back together. We never charge you any money unless we win money for you. Let us give you a FREE consultation to talk about your claim and go over your options. Call us at (404) 341-6555 or fill out the form to the right to get your free consultation today.