If you take a taxi and end up in an accident, you have the same rights as any other accident victim. You can get money for your injuries. This money may be paid by the cab company insurance, your cab driver’s insurance, another motorist, or a third party, depending on your situation and who is at fault.
As a passenger in the cab, the accident will never be your fault. However, taxi accidents tend to be complicated because there may be several parties who are potentially responsible, and they may disagree on who is at fault. This can delay or diminish the amount of money you receive, so it is important to have a skilled car accident lawyer representing you.
Who is liable in a taxi accident in Georgia?
Your taxi accident happened because someone wasn’t driving as carefully as they should have been. When careless drivers get into a wreck that harms other people, they are negligent. In Georgia car accident cases, negligent drivers are liable for the damage they cause, including injuries to passengers like you.
Taxi accidents are usually caused by either the cab driver’s negligence, or another driver’s negligence. If another driver is negligent, their insurance company is responsible for paying for all your injuries. If the cab driver is negligent, liability can be more complicated because the cab company that employed your driver may also be negligent, either for hiring your driver without checking qualifications and driving record, or for failing to properly supervise the driver.
What should I do if I’m in an accident while riding in a taxi?
If you are injured, get medical treatment as soon as possible, either at the scene or at an emergency room, urgent care or doctor’s office. Also, call the police right away, even if the cab driver tries to talk you out of it. The police officer will interview everyone, look at the damage, and make an accident report. You will need to get a copy of this police report to make a strong insurance claim.
There are several other ways you can protect your rights after a taxi accident:
- Get the cab driver’s name, license number, and the name and phone number of the cab company.
- Talk to witnesses and the other driver and find out what they saw. Get names and phone numbers.
- Using your cell phone’s camera, take photos of the area around the accident and the damage to the cab and any other vehicles.
- Schedule an appointment with a car accident lawyerwho has experience with taxi accidents. A lawyer’s help may be critical to sorting out fault and getting your damages paid.
What kinds of damages can I get after a taxi accident?
After any car accident, you have a right to collect the full cost of the accident from whoever was at fault. These costs and damages are broken down into two categories:
- Your financial costs are known as special damages. This includes your medical bills and money to make up for the paychecks you missed if the accident put you out of work.
- The cost to your quality of life is known as general damages. There aren’t any bills and receipts to prove this kind of damage, but a typical accident victim may struggle with pain, a new disability, or missing out on the joys of daily life. General damages are an attempt to place a dollar value on these kinds of losses.
- If the driver who caused the accident was drunk or especially reckless, you may receive punitive damages. These damages punish drivers for behavior the state of Georgia wants to discourage.
The best way to ensure that you recover all your costs and damages is to work with a taxi accident lawyer in Atlanta. Insurance companies may be quick to “pass the buck,” leaving you with no way to support yourself and pay your medical bills. Or they may pressure you to take far less than you deserve. A good lawyer fights hard to uncover the truth about liability and get you every penny you’re entitled to.
Talk to an Atlanta Car Accident Lawyer for Free
Our lawyers have a long history of helping passengers recover money after an accident. We know the accident wasn’t your fault, and we won’t ask you to pay us unless we win you money. Let us give you a FREE consultation to go over your case. Call us at (404) 341-6555 or fill out the form to the right to get your free consultation today.