Being a victim of a semi-truck or 18-wheeler accident is a harrowing experience. These are some of the most dangerous accidents that happen. Often, victims are left with debilitating injuries, disabilities, medical bills, lost wages, and even the loss of loved ones. No one in Johns Creek or anywhere should have to go through this. But when it happens, a good lawyer can help.
Our Johns Creek truck accident lawyers have over twenty years of experience helping victims just like you. We recognize this is an emotionally trying time in your life. We also understand that there are some practical matters to take care of as you attempt to rebuild your life. Let us battle with the insurance companies, gather the evidence, and build the base case possible for you to get the financial recovery you deserve. We offer a FREE consultation to get you started. Fill out the form to the right or call us at (404) 341-6555 for your free consultation today.
How does a truck accident lawsuit work in Johns Creek?
Being involved in a truck accident is scary and stressful enough. On top of that, the thought of filing a lawsuit can leave many people uncertain of how to proceed. If you are unfamiliar with the legal process, it can feel overwhelming—but it doesn’t have to be. The truth is the all truck accident claims follow four basic steps:
- Investigation: After an accident, the insurance company that represents the truck driver, owner, maintenance company, et. will send workers down to examine the accident scene and gather as much evidence as possible. Their goal will be to gather evidence that could reduce the amount of money they may have to pay you. It’s important to contact your own lawyer so they can do their own investigation. During the investigation, do not accept any money offers from insurance companies and do not discussion the accident with anyone but your lawyer (further detail as to why is given in the next section).
- Creating a claim: Your lawyer will then file a claim on your behalf. To do this, they will use the evidence gathered during the investigation. The claim will include details about your injuries, ask for financial compensation for your losses, and prove that the other driver was at fault and consequently responsible for your injuries.
- Negotiation: In an effort to avoid going to court, your lawyer and the insurance company may negotiate a financial settlement that both sides agree to. If an agreement on a financial settlement cannot be reached, then the case my go to court. However, most truck accident cases are resolved simply through negotiation—and a good lawyer can often get you far more than the insurer originally offered.
- Litigation: If no settlement agreement can be reached, then the case will go to court. In court, your lawyer will present your case to the judge and jury. It is crucial to have a legal team with a history of winning in court—not every lawyer is an experienced litigator.
5 Things NOT to Do After a Truck Accident
If you’ve been in a truck accident, it can be difficult to think clearly. Your mind is racing with a million thoughts: am I okay? Is my family okay? How much damage was done to my car? Was it my fault? With all the heightened emotions and adrenaline pumping through your body, it can be difficult to have the clarity to make the decisions that are in your best interest. But it doesn’t have to be. After a truck accident, there are just five common mistakes you should avoid:
- DON’T Apologize: Most of us are kind, caring people, and it may be tempting to say sorry to the other driver if you’ve been in a truck accident. Try to refrain! Your apology might be interpreted as you admitting fault instead of just being sorry the accident occurred.
- DON’T agree to a recorded statement with the insurer: Do not agree to a recorded statement with the insurance company prior to meeting with a lawyer. Insurance companies want to protect their bottom line, and they are skilled at getting you to say things that may hurt your claim and prevent you from getting more money.
- DON’T speak with other people besides your lawyer: It’s a good rule of thumb to only speak to your lawyer about the accident. Anyone else, like representatives from an insurance company, can use your words against you later in court. Insurance companies have skilled lawyers that can twist your words in a way you didn’t intend.
- DON’T ignore your doctor’s orders: There are two reasons for this. First and foremost, not following your doctor’s orders can be hazardous to your health and even delay or complicate your recovery. Secondly, not following your doctor’s orders can put your financial compensation at risk. It can be argued by the other side that you have the injuries you do because you failed to follow your doctor’s orders, or didn’t seek treatment at all. Get care from the start and keep following your treatment program.
- DON’T accept an insurance offer without talking to a lawyer: An insurance company’s primarily interest is their financial bottom line. Therefore, insurance companies often swoop in early and offer you an attractive sounding settlement. They hope that you will accept this offer and they can close the case. This is not advisable because the amount they offer you is often far below what you deserve. In addition, they will also have you sign a form that waives your right to any future claims. So even if your injuries become more severe or chronic, you won’t be able to file a new claim.
The best way to prevent making a mistake that could hurt your claims process is to hire a professional bus accident lawyer.
Talk to a Johns Creek Truck Accident Lawyer for Free
Truck accidents can be life changing. You deserve a lawyer who takes away your stress—and gets you the money you deserve. Let us give you a FREE consultation and put 20+ years of experience to work for you. Fill out the form to the right or call us at (404) 341-6555 for your free consultation.