If you’ve been injured in a side-impact collision, you may be left with unanswered questions. How bad are my injuries? Who is at fault legally? How can I get money from the insurance company—and how much am I entitled to? Our attorneys can help. Let us give you a FREE phone consultation. We will discuss your case, tell you if your claim is valid, and help you decide what to do. Call us at (404) 341-6555 or fill out the form to the right to get your free consultation today.
- How is a side-impact collision different than other accidents?
- Who is “at fault” in an Atlanta side-impact collision?
- What injuries can I recover money for in a side-impact collision claim?
- How much money can I get for a side-impact collision?
- I already have an offer from the insurance company. Why do I need a lawyer?
- Talk to an Atlanta Side-Impact Collision Accident Lawyer for Free
How is a side-impact collision different than other accidents?
Any time a vehicle is hit from the side, we consider it a side impact collision. In some side-impact accidents, the front or rear end of one car crashes directly into the side of another. These are known as “broadside” or “t-bone” accidents because of the shape the cars make. But side impact collisions can also occur when a car sideswipes or glances off the side of another vehicle.
Side-impact collisions are among the most dangerous of all types of car accidents, leading to about one in four vehicle deaths nationally. There are three reasons for this:
- Drivers who are hit from the side frequently don’t see the other driver coming and have no opportunity to react and prevent the crash.
- Depending on how the accident happened, a car that gets sideswiped has a high chance of spinning after the impact. This is incredibly dangerous.
- While safety improvements have diminished the number of fatalities in head-on and rear-end collisions, they have done far less to protect people who are involved in side-impact collisions. There is little space or protection between the side of a car and the car’s occupants, so even a minor side impact can have serious consequences.
If you were injured in a head-on collision, the results can be devastating. Contact a specialized head-on car crash lawyer for legal assistance. Your attorney can help you file a claim against the liable party and get you the compensation you need.
Who is “at fault” in an Atlanta side-impact collision?
Georgia is a “fault state,” meaning the driver who is to blame for an accident must pay for the damage. This makes fault an important part of any car accident claim in Atlanta. In a side-impact collision, the driver who was careless or not obeying traffic laws is typically at fault—and this could be either driver depending on what happened. Common reasons for side impact collisions include:
- A driver failing to yield right of way
- A driver running a stoplight or stop sign
- A driver losing control and slamming into a tree, pole, or other car
- A driver failing to see another vehicle while backing out of a parking space
- A multi-car accident where one car spins out of control and is struck by a third vehicle
Side impact collisions can also happen for reasons that have nothing to do with the drivers themselves. Collisions can occur because of defective tires or brakes, malfunctioning traffic signals or poorly maintained roads. In these cases, a third party may be at fault and liable for the damage.
What injuries can I recover money for in a side-impact collision claim?
The injuries you suffer in a side-impact collision will depend on the speed the vehicles were traveling, the way they collided, their size and weight, the safety features installed, and your own physical health. The bottom line is, if the injury happened because of your accident, you can probably recover money for it. Some of the most frequent injuries in side-impact collisions include:
- Broken bones
- Muscle injuries and damage
- Spinal cord injuries, including paralysis
- Head injuries such as concussions and traumatic brain injuries
No matter how minor or serious your injuries seem, you should always get checked out by a doctor as soon as possible. Some injuries aren’t apparent on the surface, and others will develop complications if you wait before starting treatment. Seeing a doctor right away can speed up your recovery and help you present a strong claim to the insurance company.
How much money can I get for a side-impact collision?
The amount of money you receive will depend on the severity of your injuries and the amount of treatment you need. In general, though, Georgia law allows you to recover all of your costs and damages from an accident that wasn’t your fault. Victims of side-impact collisions can typically expect to recover these types of damages:
- Medical costs—doctors, hospitals, surgeries and tests
- The cost of prescription drugs
- Expenses of physical therapy and other rehabilitative therapies
- Lost wages if you missed work because of the accident
- Wrongful death damages, if you lost a close family member
If you were in a serious side-impact collision, you may be entitled to recover much more. You may be awarded damages for ongoing severe pain, a long-term disability or other severe losses. We know that this money can never make up for what you lost in a tragic accident, but it can relieve your financial stress and make it easier to get treatment and focus on recovery.
I already have an offer from the insurance company. Why do I need a lawyer?
Despite what their ads say, insurance companies are not really on your side. They do what they can to earn a profit—even if that means offering you far less money than your claim is really worth. We talk to many people who didn’t consult a lawyer before they accepted an insurance company offer. They signed away their right to get any more money, and then they found out their injuries would need far more treatment than they originally thought.
When you talk to an Atlanta car accident lawyer, you get a professional on your side. An experienced lawyer knows how insurance companies operate, and also knows how to get them to pay a fair amount for a claim like yours. A lawyer can make sure you see qualified doctors who understand your injuries and what they will really cost. A lawyer can investigate the cause of your accident, build a strong case, and negotiate with the insurance company to get you the full amount you deserve.
Talk to an Atlanta Side-Impact Collision Accident Lawyer for Free
Our law firm has just one goal: to get you the money you need to move on with your life after an accident. We won’t charge you a dime unless we win money for you. Let us give you a FREE consultation to help you understand the right next steps for your case—with no obligation. Call us at (404) 341-6555 or fill out the form to the right to get your free consultation today.