A motorcycle accident can be a devastating experience. Overcoming injuries, tackling medical bills, and battling with the insurance company can be a process that lasts months or longer. Victims in Marietta face this process every year— but you don’t have to go through it alone alone. Our Marietta motorcycle accident lawyers can help.
Our law group has over twenty years of experience, with just one mission: help the people who were injured. We work for bikers, the families of bikers, and anyone who was hurt in an accident through no fault of their own. We believe in the work we do, and we don’t charge a cent unless you get a financial recovery. Let us give you a FREE consultation and show you how we can help. Fill out the form to the right or call us at (404) 341-6555 to get your free consultation today.
How much money can I recover in a motorcycle accident?
In Georgia, whoever is found to be at fault in an accident is responsible for paying all of your costs and damages. Putting a specific number on how much money you can recover is difficult; it will depend on your specific situation. However, in general you can expect to recover 100% of your costs for the following:
- Medical Bills
- Prescription drugs
- Physical therapy
- Lost wages or inability to return to work
- Cost of repairing your motorcycle
In addition, many injured bikers will also recover money for personal damages like pain and suffering. There is no hard dollar amount on these damages—they didn’t “cost” you any money—but you can recover money because of the extreme impact the accident had on your life. In many cases, pain, suffering and other related damages are the largest part of your settlement.
However, be careful. The other driver’s insurance company will often offer you a quick cash settlement, but these offers are usually lower than what you are rightfully entitled to. They may not include enough money for lost wages or pain and suffering, or they may have wildly low estimates of what your medical care will end up costing you. Even if it seems like a lot of money, always talk to a lawyer first.
What do I do after a motorcycle accident?
The scene of a motorcycle accident can be a chaotic place. Emotions are running high and you may be severely injured. But there are steps that you or your family can take in the minutes, hours and days after the accident to protect your rights. These include:
- Call the police. All motorcycle accidents should be reported to the police. The police report will be an important piece of evidence in your case.
- Contact your insurance company: It’s important to call your insurance company within 24 hours and report that you’ve been in an accident. In some cases, your own insurance may help out if the other driver’s insurance isn’t enough.
- Never accept fault: In the wake of an accident, it’s tempting to apologize, and it’s easy to blame yourself or think there was something you could have done differently. But be careful—this can always be used against you in court and may jeopardize any financial compensation that is owed to you. Talk to a lawyer before and let investigators determine who was at fault.
- Always follow physicians’ orders: It’s important to follow every detail of your doctor’s orders. Not doing so can put your recovery and health at risk. Not following doctor’s orders may also undermine your case as you seek damages.
- Hire a motorcycle accident lawyer: There are lots of lawyers out there, but not all have experience with motorcycle cases. Get someone with experience helping fellow bikers.
What to Look for in a Marietta Motorcycle Accident Attorney
If you’re the victim of a motorcycle accident, it’s important to have the best legal representation possible. And finding a good lawyer does NOT need to be heard—if you know what to look for. Here are 3 things you need to ask about when considering hiring an attorney:
- Experience with motorcycle accident cases: The laws surrounding motorcycle accidents in Georgia are detailed and complex. It takes a lawyer who has specific experience with motorcycle accidents to build the best case possible for you. It is totally fair to ask a lawyer what his or her experience with motorcycle accidents is and what their track record is. Don’t accept a single anecdotal case—our attorneys have over 20 years of experience helping bikers.
- Adept at negotiating with insurance companies: An insurance company’s number one priority is their bottom line, and they know how to protect it. Their reps are skilled at putting unsuspecting victims into a verbal corner and getting them to accept cash settlements that are far less than what victims deserve. A skilled motorcycle accident lawyer has experience negotiating with insurance companies and knows how to bring a case to them that forces them to give you the money you deserve.
- Is a fighter: You want a lawyer who is not going to give up on your case. You and your loved ones have been through a lot, but emotionally and physically, and you deserve some financial compensation. There are cases where the best thing to do is to take an insurance company’s offer—but they are rare. Ask the attorney how often they get more than an insurer initially offered, and how much more.
It is crucial that you get a lawyer that you feel comfortable with and is on your side. At the same time, it helps to start the process of talking to attorneys as soon as possible. Insurance claims move quickly, and the sooner you have a lawyer on your side, the better your case will go.
Talk to a Marietta Motorcycle Accident Lawyer for Free
Our lawyers have over twenty years of getting results for bikers. Call us for a FREE consultation so we can discuss next steps—with no obligation. Fill out the form to the right or call us at (404) 341-6555 for a free consultation.